We are seeking to equip Christians to serve the Lord, both inside and outside of the four walls of St John's. We therefore see training as a significant part of St John's role in 'growing disciples' in West Cumbria and we are committed to training and releasing people for service in the church, community and beyond. In our strategy we speak of the need to bring in, build up, and bear fruit; this is the bear fruit aspect of that work.
The lead minister for training is our Associate Vicar Si Walker. He is assisted in this role by Joyce Hewer. Our ongoing programmes are:
St John’s can offer accredited theological training through Union. As a Union learning hub we offer part-time courses of study towards a Graduate Diploma. Join with others to learn from world-class teachers like Mike Reeves, Glen Scrivener and Robert Letham and be trained in Christ-centred, church-focused, academically-rigorous, joy-giving theology.
Enquire about this course as well as opportunities for apprenticeships offered alongside the part-time study.
These run every three months or so and are aimed at those serving the music ministry, within the music group and on the PA team. They include a time of teaching from the Bible, the opportunity to commit the work to God in prayer and of course rehearsal and learning new songs. If you are not currently involved in the music but would like to come along, please speak to Si and watch the 'events' for future dates.
The next Musicians' Evening will be on tbc.
In addition to these ongoing activities, St John's also occasionally runs training for specific ministries. Our most recent training has included:
- Training from evangelist Rico Tice (author of the Christianity Explored Course) on sharing the gospel with our friends
- Training from Dave Fenton (Director of Route 66) for youth leaders
- A course on Biblical Womanhood where women gathered to look at the Bible together and discuss what they found.
- A course for parents using material from Ann Benton 'Aren't they lovely when they're asleep'
- A new parents morning October 2014: God's Vision for Parents